You might have heard that as of yesterday, Virginia started a more automated process of restoring civil rights to former non-violent felons. We want to make sure you have all the information you need if this change affects you or someone you know! Please feel free to forward this on anyone you know that might need this information.
Know the new process for Restoration of Rights for Non-Violent Felony Offenders
You must meet the following criteria to be eligible for non-violent automatic restoration of civil rights:
1. Have been convicted of a non-violent felony in a Virginia court, or in a U. S. District Court, military court or a court of another state or territory;
2. Have completed serving the prison sentence and been released from probation or parole, and;
3. Have paid all court costs, fines to the Commonwealth and restitution to the victims, satisfied other court-ordered conditions, and have no pending felony charges.
To get your rights restored:
1. Get a copy of the non-violent restoration of rights contact form by clicking here, print the form and fax a completed form to (804) 786-9549. Paper forms are also available at probation and parole offices. You can also mail a completed form to: Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, Restoration of Rights Division, P. O. Box 2454, Richmond, VA 23218
2. Call the toll-free hot line number at 1-855-575-9177, during office hours, 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday (except State holidays) and provide the information needed. Speak slowly and clearly so your information can be recorded correctly.
3. A web-based contact form for direct submission will be available online by August 1, 2013 atwww.commonwealth.virginia.gov/ror.
Once you receive your rights restoration order from the Governor, you must complete the Virginia Voter Registration form to register to vote. You will need to put the date of your rights restoration on the Virginia Voter Registration form (question 4).
If you have any questions about this process, please call the toll free hot line number at 1-855-575-9177.