As you know, for every day that Virginia fails to expand Medicaid, we lose $5 million we could be receiving in federal tax dollars — taxes that Virginians have already paid.
This week, the Medicaid Innovation and Reform Commission (MIRC) met, and once again, members of the MIRC failed to act responsibly on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of Virginians who would directly benefit from expansion, in spite of recommendations from Secretary of Health and Human Resources, Bill Hazel.
On Monday, the Senate Finance Committee passed their version of the budget that included Marketplace Virginia: an option for Medicaid expansion. As expected, the Virginia Senate voted in favor of this budget on Tuesday. The House of Delegates did not act on the Senate bill. Speaker Bill Howell and House leadership have continuously blocked any and all efforts to expand Medicaid or work toward a compromise that would insure 400,000 working Virginians.
The inaction of Virginia Delegates on Medicaid expansion is unacceptable.
Here are some things you can do to help move expansion forward, which will create 30,000 jobs, insure 400,000 Virginians, and keep the tax dollars Virginians pay in our state!
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper supporting Medicaid expansion. Get your friends to write one too!Click here for tips on writing letters to the editor.
- Share your story! Contact Brian Johns at email@example.com for information about how to share your own Medicaid story. You can also visit http://iamthecoveragegap.com to read other stories.
- Speak to a local group in your area about Medicaid expansion and distribute this flyer.
- Call your state legislator and ask him or her to vote to expand Medicaid in Virginia. Click here to find your legislator!
- Encourage your local city or county government to pass a resolution in favor of Medicaid expansion.
Thank you for your support and all you do to make Virginia a more just place for all people!
Sandra A. Cook