Since 1996, Virginia Organizing has made Dismantling Racism Workshops an integral part of its work. In this publication, Virginia Organizing has compiled practical tools and background articles to share with other organizations already active or interested in dismantling racism as part of their social justice work.
We have included:
* A Learning Section containing notes from a roundtable discussion of community leaders active in long-term dismantling racism work, a discussion about some important lessons we have learned, and an article that highlights the voices of some Virginia Organizing leaders who were instrumental in the beginning phases of developing Virginia Organizing’s dismantling racism work.
* A Profiles Section offering short profiles of people who have been involved in Virginia Organizing's anti-racism work and a brief description of how they are putting the concepts into action in their own communities and work.
* An Articles Section where we have collected articles we have found to be helpful in understanding the concepts introduced in the workshop.
* Session Plans and the actual Dismantling Racism Workshop Workbook provide tools you can use in your own work. These include a few sessions specifically designed for youth.
* An Annotated Bibliography of resources that can be used in anti-racism work. We hope this manual will assist other organizations working to dismantle racism in a variety of settings. For more information about Virginia Organizing’s dismantling racism work, please contact Cathy Woodson, Coordinator of Dismantling Racism Workshops, at (804) 261-7497 or email her through the contact form.