Equitable School Funding
We support Fund Our Schools’ priorities, including full funding for the revised Standards of Quality, increased wrap around services, additional school support staff, and better compensation for teachers and staff. We oppose the diversion of public school funding to private school vouchers and tax credits.
We support legislation to expand tenant rights and the availability of affordable housing, including:
- $150 million investment in Virginia’s Housing Trust Fund
- $45 million investment in Housing Stability Fund for a three-year state voucher pilot program
- $12.5 million in additional funding for the Virginia Eviction Reduction Program pilot program
We support more investments in mental health treatment, including paid sick days for all workers and redirecting resources from the criminal justice system to community-based care.
We support efforts to protect families from utility disconnections and lower the costs of electricity:
- Prohibition of utility shutoffs during extreme weather, including extreme heat and cold.
- The Affordable Energy Act, which restores the historic regulatory authority of the State Corporation Commission (SCC) to adjust investor-owned utilities’ electricity rates.
Virginia Organizing also supports efforts to make our state income tax structure more progressive, protect abortion access, and increase investments in childcare access and affordability.