A SECOND BRIEF UPDATE FROM THE VIRGINIA MAIN STREET ALLIANCE
1) In an effort to begin a discussion about how the health insurance exchanges can help small businesses best, several Virginia Main Street Alliance leaders will be meeting with three state representatives about the process. The state has adopted a resolution to set up the health insurance exchanges and has done some preliminary planning on them. The meeting, with three friendly Richmond legislators, should help guide VaMSA leaders on how best to be involved in the process.
2) The state has started a new one-stop website to assist businesses in Virginia. The website address is www.bos.virginia.gov. The highly touted website focuses on new businesses and provides links to many government sources of help.
3) The one year anniversary of the passage of health reform is March 23. Virginia Main Street Alliance hopes to use the day to focus attention on the need for small business friendly implementation.
4) If you or your business have already been helped by the new health care law, Virginia Main Street Alliance wants to know. Please contact Bob Becker at 804-937-0752 or just reply to this email with your story.
5) Another attempt to stop health care reform is going on in Congress. Representative Steve King of Iowa is trying to amend the budget to prevent implementation of the health care reform bill. His proposal was defeated in the Rules committee on Feb, 15 but we expect that amendments like this may show up on the house floor.
6) One of the major implementation struggles here in Virginia will be over setting up a health insurance exchange. Health insurance exchanges should be set up in all 50 states and should function to allow small businesses to band together to buy insurance at better rates as well as to establish clear and simple ways to compare health insurance.
7) Tax credit available for 2010 health insurance payments. The federal tax credit is available if your business provided health insurance in 2010. The IRS has a webpage that includes forms on the subject at http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=223666,00.html